Kernersville Medical Center Wound Center (in partnership with Forsyth Medical Center) is dedicated to providing wound healing and specialized skin-care needs for people with:
- Chronic wounds
- Wounds associated with diabetes
- Wounds associated with poor circulation.
Patients with one or more of the following needs or conditions may benefit from treatments from the Wound Center:
- Preventive foot care for people with diabetes
- Venous insufficiency with leg ulcers
- Non-healing surgical wound
- Foot ulcer related to diabetes
- Pressure ulcer (bed sore)
- Radiation skin reaction
- Trauma wounds
- Any other chronic, non-healing wound.
If you have one of these conditions, talk with your physician about a referral to this program.
Patients with diabetes or other diseases that decrease circulation in the feet and legs can benefit from special footwear. Specially-designed shoes or shoe inserts may be recommended to relieve pressure on the feet. See below for insurance-related information.
The Team Approach
Your treatment will be provided by experienced nurse practitioners and dedicated support personnel specifically trained in the care of individuals with chronic wounds. The staff at Novant Health Wound Care will coordinate your wound treatment plan with your primary care physician, who continues to be in charge of your overall medical care. Other physicians and healthcare professionals will continue to be involved in your treatment, as needed.
A highly-qualified medical director and advisory council guide the Wound Care program. Working together, we provide a comprehensive outpatient program focused on improving the health of individuals with chronic wounds.
Key people on the team consist of:
- The primary care physician
- Other physicians (to be consulted, as needed)
- Experienced nurse practitioner
- Support personnel trained in the care of older adults and individuals with chronic wounds.
Major medical insurance companies typically pay for this program. However, we recommend checking with your insurance company to understand your benefits specifically related to wound care. We will work with you if other payment is necessary.